Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 24: Dark Cloud on a Sunny Day

I received a copy of Dark Cloud today in the mail.  I have had a copy once before, but it wasn't mine.  It also didn't work in my PS2 either.  My silver PS2 doesn't play some games, like Xenosaga I, Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo 4; and Dark Cloud is another on that list.  But all of those games are playable on my black PS2.  So I wanted to finally try it out.  I have to say, I really like this game.  But before I played it, I didn't like the concept of it.

For those that don't know, the main character in this game has to basically put the world back together when it was destroyed by the Dark Genie, being controlled by some guy in a military suit (I haven't reached the part where I find out his name, or I missed the part that tells it).  No, the world isn't physically in pieces just floating around waiting for the hero to come by some magic glue to stick the pieces back together.  But all of the houses, people, belongings, trees, fences, roads, rivers, etc. are all in these magical spheres.  The Fairy King put all of these things in the Atla (the magical spheres), and it is up to the chosen one (whose name is Toan) to collect them and put them back on the world.

That is the main thing that separates this game from other RPGs, the ability to make towns however you want.  Yes, you will fight monsters and search dungeons and whatnot; but you also find the Atla to restore the world to how it was.

When I was first told about this game, I didn't think that rebuilding the world would be fun.  I thought that it would be just a boring mini-game that would unlock special areas or something.  I am glad I still gave the game a chance, because I like it a lot.  I die a lot, because I forget to heal myself sometimes; but I like the game.  Right now, I am still in Norune Town (or whatever it's called).  I forgot to save, so I have to go and start the dungeon all over.

I actually have more experience with Dark Cloud 2, because I borrowed both of them and only 2 would play in my PS2 at the time.  However, I couldn't take the game seriously.  When your first weapon is a wrench, I can't believe you are serious about a journey to save the world.  And the game was really slow to open up for exploration.  I didn't have access to the one mechanic that the Dark Cloud games have going for them.  I have a bid on a copy of Dark Cloud 2, but the auction for it ends in two days.  So, only time will tell on whether or not I will complete the set.

The only other game I played today was Pokémon White.  I finally earned my second Gym badge.  It was surprisingly easy now that I had two Fighting-type Pokémon in the party.  There were I think only five turns I made in the entire battle.  And now I am in the Forest looking for the Team Plasma people after they stole the dragon skull from the museum.  Here's a question: Why would the curator of a museum ask a ten-year-old kid (I assume they are still ten) to go chase after a gang of thieves, rather than alerting the authorities to the theft?  Just because they have Pokémon with them means they are suitable to do such a thing.

Anyway, I will be going back to the Pokémon Center to switch out a couple of my team members, as they aren't really suited for the next Gym's Pokémon.  I tried finding out the main character's age, and discovered the names and preferred Types for the Gym Leaders.  My current team won't do too well against Bug-Types.

Before I forget, I should tell you all that I completed Katamari Damacy last night before I went to bed.  It wasn't too hard at all.  I love that game and I knew beforehand where I needed to go in order to get the required sizes as fast as possible.  I only had to redo one level, and I only had to redo it once.  Sure the night sky isn't as full of stars as it could be, but I reached the credits, and rolled up most of the countries.  It was 171 regions of the world by the end of the song.  In the end, a completion is a completion, and I completed one more game on the list.  So, that's 9 finished, and only a whole lot more to go.

Well, that's is everything I played today.  I hope to see you back here tomorrow, and I wish you lots of luck finishing every game you play in the coming day!

Michael, aka me3lingual, aka 情郎


No comments:

Post a Comment