Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day 120: Where does he put it all?

I spent a huge portion of the day playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.  While I was playing and leveling up, a though crossed my mind.  Where does my character put all of the things he carries?  I mean, other than his bow, quiver, and what equipment he wears, none of it shows.  And considering he has a lot of potions, alchemy supplies, food, and books as well as backup weapons and armor, the backpack needed to carry all of it must be massive.  Especially considering he is carrying 210 pounds with him.  I mean, when a bandit comes up to him demanding he turn over all his gold, my character can't just go and ask the bandit to give him a minute so he can dig it out of his pockets.  You know, maybe that's why the bandit is coming up to him demanding the gold and threatening to kill him.  After all, what threat is someone who is carrying so much stuff that he can't see where he's going?

Right now, my character is in Cheydinhal trying to complete a quest from the Thieves Guild.  I am also part of the Mages Guild now, and already have one recommendation (Bruma) in the bag.  He is currently at Level 4.

Anyway, back to my original point. It isn't just the character in this game that journeys without some sort of luggage.  Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid somehow has guns and hundreds or thousands of rounds of ammunition on his person near the end of the game.  Where does he put that Stinger Missile launcher?  Not to mention the PSG-1, FAMAS, and all of those rations.  And what about the characters from Final Fantasy games?  99 of every item available and yet none of them have some kind of case or bag to hold them.

I would love to see a game where the party has a visible backpack or something containing their belongings.  Something I'd like to see more of is the changing of appearance due to different equipment on the characters.  Bethesda is on top of that.  I wish it would be a part of JRPGs.  It just isn't enough that the weapon changes.  If they allow the weapon to change, then the equipment should also change.

Well, that's all from me.  So, for the coming day, enjoy the games you play!

Michael, aka me3lingual, aka 情郎

No comments:

Post a Comment